This is to notify you that applications for the Matsumae International Foundation Research Fellowship Program 2023 is on going. Check for more information on Eligibility and how to apply below.
Matsumae International Foundation Research Fellowship Program 2023
Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following requirements are eligible to submit application documents.
● Obtain an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
● Hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
● Be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time of application and have sufficient the English or Japanese languages ability.
● Should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan (other than short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences) and must have an occupation in their home countries, return there upon completing their fellowship tenure, and should contribute to development of their own country.
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are given first priority.
Three to six months between April 2023 to March 2024.
Please indicate the length of your stay and its commencing and ending month in your Application Form (Form #1). (E.g., Six months from September 2023 to February 2024.)
Host Institution in Japan
– Applicants are free to choose a host institution in Japan (universities, national research institutions, or the equivalent facilities in private sector) to carry out their research.
Please be sure to obtain a letter of acceptance from the host institution prior to application.
The MIF is not in a position to give advice or recommendations to applicants regarding host institutions in Japan.
- A monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is provided to cover expenses for research activities (including materials) and living expenses in Japan.
- JPY 120,000 is provided to cover part of the initial costs of living in Japan.
- Round-trip economy class airfare is provided between the nearest international airport from a grantee’s domicile and Tokyo, Japan.
- Overseas travel insurance with medical treatment and death benefit is provided.
- The MIF invites fellowship recipients to participate in a study tour during their fellowship to deepen their understanding of Japan.
Applicants must submit their application documents to the MIF via e-mail.
● Email: email@example.com
● Application Period: April 1, 2022 to June 30, 2022 (Japan Standard Time)
Applications will not be accepted for any reason before or after the application period.
If you found this article helpful, subscribe to our website using your email for more scholarships and daily updates. Subscription is free. You can also find us on