Coconut oil has become a very essential part of the beauty and cosmetics sector. This can be attributed to the numerous usefulness of this amazing product. Majority of the superstores are packed full with different types of coconut oil, but the truth is, since it was made for commercial purpose, it would be hard to determine which of such oils is pure and unadulterated. A lot of us would rather just go for the commercial factory made oils which are filled with emulsifiers, additives and hydrogenated fats.
If you truly want your coconut oil to be pure, it is highly recommended that you extract the oil from coconuts yourself.
What is coconut oil?
Coconut oil is edible oil which is extracted from the kernels of mature coconuts.
What is virgin coconut oil or cold pressed coconut oil?
Virgin coconut oil can also be known as pure coconut oil. The term ‘virgin’ coconut oil simply means that either no heat was applied during the process of extraction or it was subjected to very low heat. Virgin/Pure coconut oil has a strong taste and fragrance and a higher content of antioxidants, protein, vitamins and healthy fatty acids
What is the difference between pure home-made coconut oil and factory made coconut oil?
Home-made coconut is different because of the way it is extracted. It has a strong taste and fragrance and it is high on antioxidants, protein, vitamins and healthy fats.
While that of the factory are most times laden with emulsifiers, additives and hydrogenated fats.
What is the health benefit of coconut oil?
Coconut oil has a lot of amazing health benefits. This oil is not just for cooking, it can be put to many more uses. Coconut oil is highly medicinal and has several healing properties.
Benefits of virgin coconut oil
- Homemade coconut oil is a good cure for mouth ulcer.
- Pure oil plays an important role in lowering bad.
- The oil is a good moisturizer, for dry skin and most especially for new born babies because it is mild and fresh.
- Coconut oil is an awesome beauty ingredient and can help in controlling dandruff and preventing acne (pimples).
- Coconut oil helps in boosting digestion.
What is the process to make virgin coconut oil?
Now, we have come to the main aspect of this article, now that you have seen the benefits of making this oil at home by yourself, we would be guiding you on how to prepare this pure coconut oil in the comfort of your home.
What are the ingredients needed to produce coconut oil?
18 to 20 coconuts will give you up to 6 litres of coconut milk; from this milk you can extract approximately 300 grams of coconut oil.
It would also interest you to know that 3 to 4 coconuts will produce 1 litre of coconut milk, from which 50 grams of oil can be extracted.
The number of coconuts you use depends on the quantity of coconut oil you need.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE- How to make Tiger Nut Drink with Date and Coconut
What are the steps in producing coconut oil at home?
The method we would be showing you today is called the “Hot Process” and it is the traditional method that has been used for ages. It does not require the use of any machine, the only equipment needed is simple everyday kitchen tools. This method requires time to produce the oil, but the process is very easy.
- Extract the flesh from the coconut and grate it.
- Extract the coconut milk from the flesh by squeezing it with your hands in a muslin cloth. Ensure there is a bowl below the cloth to collect the liquid. You can add very little hot water to it to make it easy to handle and squeeze out all the milk.
- Sieve the extracted coconut milk using a muslin cloth to remove any impurities.
- Place the coconut milk in a pot and put it on fire. Let it cook for 2 to 3 hours; ensure the heat is kept low.
- Keep stirring it till the milk becomes brownish in colour. Be careful so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the milk becomes concentrated, remove it from the fire and let it cool down.
- Place the cooled thickened milk in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the oil.
- Store the extracted oil in a plastic air tight bottle.
How long does coconut oil last?
Homemade coconut oil can last for a year or 7-10 months depending on the condition the oil is kept. It is important you keep the coconut oil extract in an airtight container and also don’t leave it out in the open else it can get contaminated and lose its important qualities.
We would keep updating you on more diy tips, ensure you subscribe to this website for direct updates. Subscription is free
We hope this article helped you make your Coconut oil at home.
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our website using your email for more AVAILABLE TIPS. Subscription is free.
Also like our Facebook Click Here
Follow us on Twitter Click Here