The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for its 2023 playwriting competition. All playwrights are welcome to submit their applications. More information below.
Yale Drama Series 2023 Playwriting Competition for emerging Playwrights ( $10,000 prize)
The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of their manuscript by Yale University Press, and a celebratory event. The prize and publication are contingent on the playwright’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is no entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
- This contest is applicable to only plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are welcome.
- Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays, with a minimum of 65 pages. Plays with less than 65 pages will not be considered. Translations, musicals, and children’s plays are not accepted.
- The Yale Drama Series will support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
- Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year. Only manuscripts authored by one playwright are eligible.
- Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible and plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
- Plays may not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
- The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
- The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
If you are submitting your play electronically, please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript and submission file name. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play’s title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please enter the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form.
Was this article helpful? Then subscribe to our website via email. Subscription is free.
You can also find us on