This guide is specifically for students who just completed their industrial training (IT) /SIWES or who which to begin their training process on how to write an awesome SIWES report this year.
Before, we continue let us give you more hint on what this article would cover. We will introduce you to SIWES, why you need to write a report and how to write an awesome IT report.
Introduction to SIWES and report writing
What is SIWES/Industrial Training (IT)?
SIWES is an acronym that stands for the students industrial work experience scheme (SIWES). Industrial training is a skills training programme designed to expose and prepare students of Universities, Polytechnics/Colleges of Technology/Colleges of Agriculture and Colleges of Education for the industrial work situation they are likely to meet in an ideal work environment after graduation.
A SIWES training can be from 3 months to a year depending on the academic structure of the school.
What is a SIWES Report or Industrial Training Report?
A SIWES/IT report is an important document prepared by a student after successful completion of his/her industrial training. The report is expected to show the level of development of practical and professional skills of the students. Simply put, a SIWES report contains all you learnt during the course of the training.
A copy of the report should be submitted to your Faculty (required-through the respective Adviser). It is also adviced that you keep a copy of the report for personal use.
Purpose of the SIWES/IT Report
There are many benefits of writing this report, we will be listing only 3 reasons below
- Put down in writing the record of the training experience i.e personal performance reflection
- Means of summarizing the experience of a student
- Train student in effective writing as a preparation for the Final Year Project.
How to write a superb SIWES/IT Report
Guideline for Preparation of SIWES/Industrial Training Report
The procedure for preparation of the IT report has to follow the format instructed by your Faculty. However, there is a widely accepted format by all faculties and we would be guiding you using this approved format.
Approved Report Writing Format
The report has to be typewritten on white A4 size paper, font-size of 12 points and Times New Roman font has to be used throughout the IT report, with line spacing of 1.5.
The report has to be properly bound with ‘spiral or tape binding’.
Front Cover Format
The format for the front cover should be bold and well arranged.
How to write Abstract/Preface of SIWES report
This section of the report should consist of brief description of the following:
- Activities of the Organization (where you carried out the IT)
- Summary of the Report
Please note– This section of the report is limited to two (2) pages only.
How to write Table of Contents for SIWES report
The table of contents of the report should consist of:
- Page numbers
Ensure that each page is numbered accordingly.
Chapters In SIWES/IT report
A standard IT report consist of the preliminary page, followed by 5 chapters as elaborated below
- Title page
- Table of content
Chapters and contents
- Aims/Objectives of the programs
- Description of the establishment of the organization
- Aims/Objectives of the organization
- Organization structure including the organogram of the establishment
- The various departments/ groups/ sections in the establishment and function
- Activities carried out in the organization or during the cause of the Industrial Training
- Report clearly on activities carried out in the organization actually with clear statement on experience acquired
- Problems Encountered
- Report clearly on the problems encountered doing your stay in the organization or while undergoing the training.
- Summary, conclusion and recommendation
- State clearly your recommendation, conclusion and summary of all the activities during the SIWES program
That is all you need to know about writing that awesome SIWES/IT report. If you would like further explanations or you wish that one of our editors write your report for you, do well to contact us via any of the channels as written below.
Contact us on Facebook- Click Here
Contact us on Twitter- Click Here
Contact us via email/phone- Click Here
Leave a Comment