The Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) Kenya Program 2022 for women Entrepreneurs
The Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) is an award-winning training and coaching platform specifically designed for women micro-business owners. It gives enterprising women the knowledge, networks, and access they need to launch and scale successful businesses. By promoting women’s economic opportunities and ensuring that women have the capabilities and resources needed to participate in the economy, the AWE program directly supports the U.S. National Strategy on Gender Equity and Equality.
AWE uses a hybrid model that combines the online platform Dream Builder (developed through a partnership between Arizona State University’s Thunderbird School of Global Management and global copper mining company Freeport-McMoRan) with in-class mentoring and facilitation.
Through AWE, participants learn core business skills and then get together as a class to discuss the material with experienced implementers, local mentors, and U.S. Exchange Alumni. Partnerships with local NGOs, universities, and chambers of commerce offer women the opportunity to Amplify their newly learned business skills and network with other business people through speed mentoring, pitch competitions, and entrepreneurship fairs. At a local level, AWE harnesses the power of public-private sponsors, local partnerships, and the U.S.
In Kenya, the AWE program is equipping women with practical skills needed to create sustainable businesses. It seeks to promote economic prosperity by creating opportunities for women with brilliant ideas to become successful entrepreneurs. The main sponsors of AWE Kenya are the State Department, ECA at State, US Embassy Kenya and implemented by Ushindi Empowerment from 2022.
- The AWE training will take place over a period of 3 months of guided formal training through the Dream Builder platform and 3 months of mentorship and business linkages culminating in graduation, business planning competition and exhibition to allow the participants to celebrate their hard work.
- The participants will also gain access to seed capital (specific to winners of the pitching competition) as well as access to key strategic partners.
- Participants will increase their knowledge and understanding of business, marketing, finance and operations.
- They will also have safe spaces to dialogue on issues affecting them and their businesses and linkages to support mechanisms.
- Further, the primary beneficiaries will be trained on pitching their businesses to access opportunities. We shall have a team of qualified Program staff facilitators and mentors to support the learning agenda all through the program.
|1. Application Deadline||Tuesday 24th May|
|2. Announcement of Selected Participants||Tuesday ,27th May|
|3. Online Kickoff Meeting for Participants||Monday, 6th June|
|4. Dream Builder Course (Physical and Online-speaker series & networking sessions )||Monday 5th June –Monday August 8th|
|5. Business Plan Submission –Draft 1||August 15th|
|6. Mentoring Sessions Kick Off||Monday August 8th –Monday October 10th|
|7. Final Business Plan Submission||Friday October 21st|
|8. Business Trips||Monday Oct 17th –Saturday October 22nd|
|9. Pitch Competition & Selection of Final awardees||November 1st –November 5th|
|10. Graduation ,Pitch Awardees & Networking Event||Friday 25th November|
|11. Mentoring Session and Monitoring of mentees||1st December 2022 – February 28th 2023|
For More Information:
Was this article helpful? Then subscribe to our website via email for more scholarships updates and general updates and opportunities. Subscription is free.
You can also find us on