Cover Letter Format 2020
You probably have been told to submit your application alongside with a cover letter, and you don’t know exactly what to do or probably not so sure. This guide is aimed at teaching you how to write a superb cover letter to get that dream job or application in Nigeria and overseas.
What is cover letter for resume/application?
Simply explained, a cover letter is a one page document that you are often required to send with your resume/application when applying for a job or scholarship.
This piece of document is meant to: Introduce you to the hiring manager/scholarship board. It gives them an idea why you are the right person for the opportunity.
The purpose of a cover letter
Whatever be the reason of writing a cover letter, your cover letter must contain some key information and it must do the function of the things as listed below.
- It must introduce you
- It must contain what you are applying for
- It must contain the basic requirements of the job you are applying for
- It must catch the interest of the reader to read your final resume
- It must finish with a call to action (e.g., requesting for an interview, asking to meet or reply)
Approved structure and format of a cover letter
A standard cover letter shouldn’t be more than one page with a font size between 10-12 points. Include contact information in the cover letter and ensure it is addressed directly to a named individual whenever possible.
As stated above the cover letter has an approved structure. Check out the sample structure below
Introduction Part: 1st paragraph
- Describe yourself and what you are applying for (e.g. “I am an Economics graduate. I am writing to express my interest in the Economist position with [******* company].”)
- State why you are interested in applying for the position and organization
Body Part: 2-3 paragraphs
- Talk about your experience that support your ability to be perform well in the position or organization
Closing Part: Last paragraph
- Here, you thank the reader for their time.
- Moderately emphasize why you are a good candidate for the opportunity
- State your desire for an interview and include your contact information (phone/email). Ensure your email contains your name (firstname.lastname@example.org is better than email@example.com)
- Use standard, acceptable margins for the page layout (MS Word default)
- Use business letter style
- Block style is acceptable, with text flush with left margin
Important Do’s & Don’ts of Cover Letters
Ensure you don’t repeat the information found in resume,on the other hand you should do the below
- Sum-up important qualities, areas of expertise, and motivation about field or position of interest
- Include information about availability
- Try to keep the cover letter one paged; however, two pages is acceptable, when you have a lot of work experiences.
We would keep updating, ensure you subscribe to this website for direct updates. Subscription is free.
We hope this article helped you learn how to write a good cover letter in Nigeria 2020.
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our website using your email for more JOB TIPS/AVAILABLE VACANCIES. Subscription is free.
You can also find us on our
Leave a Comment