King’s College London Africa Studentships 2023/2024 – Apply Here. King’s college London Africa is now inviting applications for the 2023/2024 Studentships. Check the article below for how to apply below and the requirements.
King’s College London is a public research university located in London, United Kingdom, and a founding college and member institution of the federal University of London. King’s was established in 1829 by King George IV and Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.
The esteemed King’s College London (KCL) has recently opened applications for the Africa Studentships for the academic year 2023-2024. This unique program invites African scholars interested in exploring the evolving dynamics of the fashion industry on the African continent, with a particular focus on the generation of social, economic, and cultural value for both local and international markets.
This comprehensive research initiative strives to examine the ways in which African fashion producers employ knowledge, technology, capital, and resources to foster socioeconomic transformation. Traditionally, discourses on global production have overlooked the concept of lead firms in Africa due to limited perceptions of value. Consequently, this project aims to challenge these stereotypes, highlighting the continent’s rich landscape of creativity, innovation, and sustainability.
The chosen PhD researcher will utilize a mixed-methods case study approach, potentially including industry data analysis, surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observational studies. The project will concentrate on one or more African countries, augmenting the supervisors’ existing case studies in Nigeria and Kenya.
Benefits of King’s College London Africa Studentships
The King’s College London Africa Studentships covers the following for four years:
- Tuition fees at the international/overseas rate.
- An annual stipend (living allowance) set at £19,688 (for the year 2022/23).
- Research costs up to £5,000 per annum.
Requirements for King’s College London Africa Studentships
African Leadership Centre, King’s College London
International political economy, creative and cultural studies
African nationals and be permanently resident in an African country;
- Plan to commence a full-time MPhil/PhD programme at King’s College London in the 2023-24 academic year (Ideally we would like to candidate to start in October 2023 but by no later than January 2024).
- Meet the academic requirements for enrollment for the PhD degree in the Faculty of Social Science and Policy at King’s College London.
- You should hold or expect to obtain a High Merit or Distinction at Master’s level (or equivalent) in any subject.
- Disciplinary areas of particular relevance would include but not be limited to: International Political Economy; Political Economy; Fashion Management; Business; Development Studies; Culture, Media & Creative Industries; Policy; Sociology; Geography; Social Sciences.
- A strong interest in fashion and the creative economy (academic, professional, personal).
- Good team-working, observational, organization and communication skills.
- Experience of qualitative and quantitative methods.
Pre-selected candidates will then be invited for an interview. Successful candidates will receive an offer for PhD study and scholarship funding, after which they will need to apply via King’s Apply online application system
Documents Required for Application
Applicants are required to send their
- A cover letter outlining their interest in the project and its relevance to their prior experience, and a sample of written work (i.e. MSc/MA thesis)
Please email these documents to Dr Ikpe and Dr England in advance of applying through the KCL portal
How to Apply
The King’s College London Africa Studentships 2023-2024 presents an incredible opportunity for African scholars to delve deep into the nuances of Africa’s vibrant fashion industry. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to contribute to a more inclusive and nuanced understanding of Africa’s role in global production narratives.
How to apply, click here. The selected candidates must then apply via King’s Apply online application system. Details are available at: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-research/how-to-apply
Visit the official KCL website for more details.
June 30, 2023