Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) Recruitment For Process and Technical Safety Engineer – Apply Here. Shell Petroleum is now inviting applications to fill the position of Process and Technical Safety Engineer.
SPDC – Shell Petroleum Development Company is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development program and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Process and Technical Safety Engineer
Job Requisition ID: R105871
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Job Type: Full Time
- Support reviews to help client establish fit for purpose and cost-effective approaches to technical safety engineering and asset operability and integrity.
- Deliverables (Technical Safety Review, Desktop Safety Review) will address technical and operational issues in a way that is fully integrated with management of other business risks and activities.
- This includes work with HEMP principles including ALARP demonstration via various techniques including QRA, Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) as applicable, and deliver specific related process safety services to Engineering.
- Provide discipline support consistent with business objectives and contribute to attainment of industry leading cost and schedule project performance.
- Provide Hazard & Risk Safety Management, Process Technical Safety Engineering leadership and support to Onshore, Shallow Offshore Projects particularly the HA & HI Project to achieve Goal Zero..
- Provide specialist advice and support to Engineering (for Projects) and/or to Assets on requirements of HSSE Cases and associated HEMP studies (HAZID, HAZOP, Bowtie, FIREPRAN, etc) supporting these HSSE Cases
- Support, challenge, and advice Engineering (for Projects) and/or to Assets on Design Integrity and Technical Integrity.
- Responsible for assuring the design of new facilities and/or existing assets are adequately safe and incorporate loss prevention measures consistent with project S&E and business premises
- Provide support, challenge, governance, and advice, relating to Technical Integrity, SE Cases during Define, Design and Execute phases of the asset life cycle including the hazard and risk management of potential major accidents.
- Driving progress on the AIPSM “22 requirements” delivered via local operations & maintenance staff and on the AIPSM work streams defined to improve SPDC and progress towards international standards and full compliance with the 22 AIPSM requirements.
- Identifying acceleration opportunities to close gaps where possible.
- Participate in incident investigations, audits, and technical safety reviews such as HAZOP, HAZID, EERA, ESSA, FERA, HBA, PSUA etc. and other technical safety assessments.
- Provide ad-hoc Process Safety support to producing wells Operations, CWI, Drilling (i.e., HAZOPS, risk assessments and incident investigations etc. as required.
- Advice and acknowledge Facility Status Reporting deviations on Safety Critical Elements
- Screen and/or Review FSR deviation/ E-MoC to support Technical Safety input and assure proper Risk Management in Change Process.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Represents the HSE discipline in Management of Change (MOC) screening and approval committees, Simultaneous Operations (SIMOPS) and Matrix of Permitted Operations (MOPO) workshops when required.
- Design fire protection systems, structural fireproofing, and area drainage
- Design safeguards to minimize and/or control inherent hazards related to the operation of new facilities. This includes special considerations for process containment, emergency isolation, explosion venting, detonation arresting, static electricity safeguards, fixed gas detection systems, etc.
- Development and implementation of the Conceptual and Design SE cases. Quantitative risk assessments.
- Delivering value through high quality services to our customers
- Support the implementation of Process Safety Fundamentals (PSFs) as a PSF ambassador and AIPSM leadership workshops (as facilitator).
- Hazardous Area Classification Review: Support HAC, ensuring timely Process Safety/Technical Safety input
- Support LODs assurance such as 5 Yearly PSR and process safety LOD1s.
- Design of Safety Critical Elements (SCE) and specification of Performance Standards under the Technical Integrity Framework
- Design safety systems including pressure relief facilities, flare systems, and emergency de-pressurizing systems. This includes establishing relief philosophy, reviewing relief scenarios, assessing calculated relief loads, verifying relief device sizing, and reviewing equipment specifications.
- HSE risks Management
- HAZID coordination/facilitations/contribution
- Hazard analysis using Bow Tie
- Risk Assessment contribution/facilitation/training
- ALARP demonstration process
- Management of Change
- Major Hazards Management
- Physical Effect Modelling (using FRED software)
- Support Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA) review
- Provide support for Emergency Response
- Support continuous SE risk identification, assessment, and reduction.
- Assist in Monitoring, Challenging, or supporting delivery of improved process safety performance through leadership of 5-year process safety reviews, facilitating maintenance of Operations SE cases, support hardware barrier assessments and audits.
- Support development of studies as key inputs into “Concept Select, Design SE Case and Operations SE Case’ e.g., Hazards and Effect Management Process (HEMP) and tools, bow-tie analysis, Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA), HAZOPs etc.
- Support stimulation of continuous SE risk identification, assessment, and reduction.
- Support incident investigations and provide expert advice to identify root causes and learning’s from major accident hazards to determine appropriate actions and the need for lateral learning.
- Ensuring the Change management in Engineering design.
- Improve on-Project Design Safety practices – Hazard and Risk Awareness for SCiN and (sub) contractor staff.
- Assuring the effectiveness of SE-MS throughout project life cycle and during operate phase
- Deliver world class SE performance.
- Improve process safety risk management at the frontline.
- Cascade Learning from Incidents, best practices.
- Embed human performance and learner mindset in project as part of safety refresh
- Drive best practices in SE-MS for all contractors engaged in projects in the face of insecurity in the Niger Delta
- Value delivery in HEMP ensuring the right balance between cost and risk (ALARP demonstration)
- Interfacing with major contractors providing services to the company
Key Experiences and Qualifications
- Science or Engineering degree. A Degree in safety risk engineering would be advantageous.
- At least 7 years’ experience in EP industry of which minimum 3 years in SE supervisory role.
- Seasoned SE / EP professional with broad experience in SE risk aspects of EP.
- Demonstrate a breadth of knowledge consistent with the scope of activities and ability to use networks effectively across Shell organization.
- Skilled in Safe Systems of Work (JHA, PTW)
- Knowledge in use of Design safety tools such as QRA, SIL, FIREPRAN, SE Cases, Bowties, HAZID, Fire & Explosion modelling, dispersion modelling, HAZOP, Layout reviews, etc.
- Good analytical ability and keen sense of reality
- Meets the Group SE General Competence Profile for JG 4
- Skilled in SE risk Management Framework
- Skilled in HEMP and Safe Systems of work
- Skilled in delivering through others
- Passion, drive, and commitment for SE performance excellence
- Demonstrate regional and global focus
- Excellent communicator
- Excellent reporting writing skills
- Good analytical ability and keen sense of reality
- Skilled at team working, managing Business interfaces, and working and embedding change
- Skilled in Project management techniques, including business planning and evaluation
- Skilled in analyzing, solving problems, communicating, persuading, personal creativity and innovative
- Preferably assessed as a TSE TA3 and readiness for TSE TA3 within 6 months – 1 year as added advantage
- Strong focus on Enterprise First (ensuring close connection and alignment with other Shell Businesses.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply