SCAR Fellowship Program for Developing Countries 2023 – Apply. Applications are now open for the SCAR Fellowship Program 2023. Interested persons should see how to apply below and the requirements.
About Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
The plans for the IGY, the International Geophysical Year, 1957-58, included a major Antarctic component. At the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU) Antarctic meeting held in Stockholm on 9 – 11 September 1957, it was decided that there was need for further international organisation of scientific activity in Antarctica, and that a committee should be set up for this purpose.
The SCAR Fellowship Programme was initiated in 2002. The aim was to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in Antarctic scientific research and build new connections and further strengthen international capacity and cooperation in Antarctic research. Since the initiation of the programme, more than 80 SCAR Fellowships have been awarded.
The SCAR Fellowship Programme is designed to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in furthering the understanding of Antarctica. The Fellowships enable early-career researchers to join a project team from another country, opening up new opportunities and often creating partnerships that last many years and over many Antarctic research seasons.
Some flexibility was introduced during the pandemic and this will continue. Applicants are able to propose partly or entirely remote Fellowships and, where issues later develop around travel or planned activities, SCAR will work with awardees to enable their fellowships to go ahead. In 2023, as in 2022, additional funding is being provided by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation through the Polar Initiative. They will therefore be awarding 4-5 Fellowships this year.
Benefits of SCAR Fellowship Programme
- Up to USD $15,000 per award;
- Home institute to bear in-home country costs (e.g. visa costs, domestic travel);
- Host institute to waive bench fees, if any.
Requirements for SCAR Fellowship Programme Qualification
- Open to current PhD researcher or within 5 years of finishing PhD;
- Visiting an Antarctic research facility in or run by a SCAR member country, which is different from applicant’s country of origin and current country of residence;
- Should contribute to the objectives of one or more of SCAR’s science groups, including the Humanities and Social Sciences group, and/or the Scientific Research Programmes.
How to Apply
Interested Persons should CLICK HERE to apply
Before you begin your Online Fellowship Application, you must have the three main documents ready to upload (preferably as PDF files):
- Your Research Proposal, together with any relevant appendices, as a single document;
- Your Home Institute Reference (Home Agreement and Letter of Reference) as a single document;
- Your Host Institute Agreement.
For more details,visit SCAR website
July 31, 2023