The United Nations Volunteer (UNV) is currently recruiting to fill the position of a Peacebuliding Officer, check if you are eligible and apply. More Information on how to apply is below.
Peacebuilding Officer at United Nations Volunteers (UNV) – Kano
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
Job Title: Peacebuilding Officer
Host Entity: UNICEF
Expected Start Date: 25/04/2022
Duration: 12 months
Sustainable Development Goal: 16. Peace, justice and strong institutions
Volunteer Category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
Number of assignments: 1
- In order to address the need for continued and systematic analysis of contextual risks in Nigeria, the Country Office has developed the design of a Crisis Risk Dashboard (CRD) with the support of UNDP Crisis Bureau. The CRD is an online platform for data aggregation and visualization, aimed at facilitating the identification, tracking and analysis of contextual risks by the UNDP Country Office and potentially the wider UN Country Team.
- UNDP Crisis Bureau and the Country Office will work together on developing, maintaining and using the CRD. As a next step, the Country Office and Crisis Bureau are seeking to recruit an information management officer (IMO) who will lead on key aspects of the CRD design and finalization, especially related to data management and technical support.
- Under the overall supervision of the Crises Prevention and Recovery Advisor, Governance, Peace and Security (GPS), and with day to day support of the Conflict and Political Economy Specialist, the Peace Building Officer will support the implementation of the PBF Project in Katsina State.
Summary of key functions:
- The Peace building specialist will work closely with the Project team to support in ensuring that results of this programme are well articulated, results are tracked and documented; and that both internal and external reports capture the actual changes that are happening with the programme interventions:
- Contributions to substantive peace building and conflict prevention support relevant to state institutions and aligned to the project ensuring facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Explore new opportunities for sustained peace building and conflict prevention including in the area of Youth, Peace and Security.
- Support in stakeholder mapping and Mobilisation, collaborative dialogues and peace mapping in the project locations
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme, institutional and country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organisation of training for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Ensures implementation of project activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review workplans, activity reports, implement programme activities according to the technical, financial and administrative procedures prescribed in the pro-gramme document or by the Joint Steering Committee (JSC).
- Support the organization, preparation, collation and consolidation of annual work plans and budget administration for activities.
- Provision of operational and technical support to Implementing Partners, Respon-sible Parties, and relevant Government institutions and Development Partners as assigned, including facilitating development of workplans and timely submission of reports.
- Support management of programme resources, supervise administration of ac-counts and follow up budgets and expenditures.
- Support financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, iden-tification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
- Participation in audit of project.
Required education level
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in, Sociology, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding, Security Studies, Peace Studies, Law, Public Administration, International Relations or other related technical field with top tier grade
- 3 years of experience in Peace building and conflict prevention Programmes
- Conducting primary conflict research, particularly in crisis context.
- Coordinating key partnerships with stakeholders – including Government, Civil Society, Faith-Institutions and others
Area(s) of expertise:
- Crisis and emergency response, Development programmes, Community development
- English, Level: Fluent, required.
Competencies and Values:
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Client Orientation
- Respect for Diversity
- Working in Teams
- Commitment and Motivation
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Age: 27 – 80
- Nationality: Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirements
- Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy.
Application Deadline 15th April, 2022.