This is a call for applications for the position of a Dispensary Nurse at UNDP. Check if you are eligible and read on for information on how to apply below.
Dispensary Nurse at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Title: Dispensary Nurse
Job Identification: 2891
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Practice Area: Health
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Required Languages: English
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
- The UN Dispensary Nurse performs the functions under the immediate supervision of the UN Dispensary Physician in duty station with regards to administrative and technical matters.
Reporting structure and partners:
- The technical supervision of the nurse and the medical personnel in the field as well as the technical performance evaluation will be executed by the UN Medical Director or his nominee.
- In order to ensure that UNDP should facilitate external access to its Performance Development and Management system to MSD.
You may like-OWSD PhD Fellowship 2022/2023
Duties & Responsibilities
Clinical Technical Duties:
- Attend the UN Clinic on a full-time basis;
- Assist the UN Physician in the performance of his/her duties
- Responds to emergency calls during outside office hours when necessary and assists Medical Doctors in providing adequate care;
- Give first-aid and advice to the staff and their recognized dependents;
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate;
- Documents case findings.
- Performs diagnostic and screening tests such as: ECG, x-rays, laboratory (blood and urine), and other tests as required.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic;
- Facilitates referral to the UN Medical Doctor or to an outside physician, as required.
- Ensures preparedness of staff traveling on missions or reassignments, including administration of the appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis, and other travel-related ailments.
- Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs;
- Participates in work environment assessment, e.g. office ergonomics, and addresses other occupational health issues.
- Perform medical briefing for incoming staff and conduct first aid training;
- Assess needs of clients visiting the walk-in clinic, provides care/advice (e.g., the benefits of preventive medicine etc.) accordingly and facilitates referral to the UN Medical Physician or to an outside physician, as indicated;
- Administer minor “outpatient” treatment and immunization requirements;
- Assists in maintaining records of patients’ medical data including consultations and treatment;
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regards to patient’s medical records; patient management and treatment.
- Perform medication, injection, dressing, stitching, foreign body extraction and so on as needed;
- Coordinates medical evacuation and cooperates with Medical Services Division in N.Y. and the receiving facilities in home countries;
- Assists in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriation;
- Concludes or closes medical evacuation files to enable staff members to submit claims;
- Assist in arrangements for the deceased;
- Designs and implements outreach programs for mission personnel;
- Plans and organizes preventive and promotes medical fairs;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Secondary Education is required
- Registered Professional Nurse is desirable.
- Recognized additional training in primary health care and midwifery is desirable;
- HIV/AIDS Management training is desirable.
- National registration and license is a requirement.
- Or First Level Degree from an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing Programme (University) with 3 years relevant experience or equivalent will be given due consideration
- Certificates in ECG, CPR or Basic Life Support and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care is an asset.
- Minimum of 6 years with Secondary education or 3 years of experience with a University Degree of continuous clinical experience in nursing preferably in a multicultural environment;
- Intensive Care and health administration. Supervisory experience in a UN field operation is an asset. Knowledge and understanding of relevant UN administrative policies and procedures are desirable.
- Experience in Trauma and Emergency care is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of other official UN languages is an advantage. Knowledge of the local language (Hausa) is highly desirable.
- Achieve Results – LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline
- Think Innovatively- LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem-solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously – LEVEL 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility – LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination – LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner – LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion – LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
- Customer Satisfaction/Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Business Management – Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Development of Business – Integration within the UN: Ability to identify, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
- Business Management – Operations Management: Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
- Entrepreneurial Thinking: Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs to be based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
- Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents.
- Applicants are advised for all professional-level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
- UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- One or more candidates can be selected from this vacancy announcement.
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job descriptions, experiences and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
- Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
- Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Important Note: Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment
Application Deadline 04:59 AM; 5th April, 2022.
Was this article helpful in your application process? If yes, the subscribe to our website via email. Subscription is free.
You can also find us on our Facebook Page-Click Here