World Press Institute Fellowship Program 2022 for Journalists (Fully Funded to the United States)
About the Programme
Each year, hundreds of professional journalists from around the world apply for 10 WPI fellowship slots. The chosen finalists represent some of the best journalists in their respective countries. They are innately curious, intelligent and ambitious, and approach journalism with a deep sense of dedication and responsibility.
Gain access to, engage in and observe the role, responsibility and impact of a free press firsthand in one of the world’s largest, most diverse democracies. Through an immersive program, you will learn how the U.S. founding principles of a free press and journalistic best practices help foster transparency and accountability of government institutions, businesses and organizations, including the most powerful ones.
In a guided tour across the country – including Chicago, New York City, Miami, Austin (Texas), San Francisco, and more – you will meet with and interview subject matter experts in media outlets, think tanks and advocacy organizations.
- At least five years of full-time employment in print, broadcast or online journalism, including:
- News or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio, television, websites or online publications.
- Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers.
- Those who supervise journalists are eligible if they also have at least five years as a working journalist.
- Any journalism-related work completed as a university student does not count toward experience. Those who work in public relations or at organizations whose primary business is not the media are not eligible.
- Must be currently employed as a non-U.S. journalist working outside of the United States.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Potential for leadership.
WPI pays the following program expenses:
- Roundtrip airfare to the United States.
- Travel within the United States related to the WPI program.
- Fellows receive a modest daily allowance to purchase food.
Fellows are responsible for personal expenses, such as phone, camera, postage and clothing.
Letters of Recommendation
- Applicants are required to submit the names and email addresses of three professional references.
- References will be contacted by WPI to submit online letters of recommendation.
- References should be familiar with the applicant’s work and able to comment in English on their journalistic abilities, potential for growth and leadership abilities.
- One reference should be a direct supervisor.
- Letters must be in English and address the applicant’s experience, qualifications and potential.
For More Information:
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our website using your email for more SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES. Subscription is free.
You can also find us on our