Internet Society Foundation Research Grant Program 2023 – Apply. Applications are now open for the Internet Society Foundation Research Grant Program. Check below for application procedures and the requirements.
Internet Society Foundation
At the Internet Society Foundation, we focus on funding initiatives that strengthen the Internet in function and reach so that it can effectively serve all people. Our work advances the vision of the Internet Society (ISOC): The Internet is For Everyone. To this end, we support efforts to ensure that the Internet is open, globally-connected, secure, and trustworthy. We champion the use of the network as a critical technical infrastructure that can bring communities better education, healthcare and economic opportunity among other important areas of focus.
Internet Society Foundation Research Grant Program
The Internet Society Foundation’s Research Program supports global research collaborations that advance understanding of the Internet and its value for all.
Statements of interest and subsequent proposals should address topics related to one of the following thematic areas:
- Greening the Internet
- The Internet Economy
- A Trustworthy Internet
- Decolonizing the Internet
- Promote novel methodologies that generate solutions to Internet-related challenges
- Identify and support a diverse and collaborative group of researchers and research institutions
- Facilitate access to intersectional research. That can be applied to decision-making in government and industry
The Foundation supports research involving human or animal subjects when the project has been certified by a responsible body to be ethical and in compliance with local law. It is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator of the project to obtain these certifications.
Benefits of Internet Society Foundation Research Grant Program
The program provides for two levels of funding:
- Independent researchers may apply for funding up to US$200,000. Grants will be awarded directly to individuals who are identified as the principal investigator on the project. And he/she will be responsible for grant management including all reporting requirements during the life of the grant.
- Organizations and institutions may apply for funding up to US$500,000. One or more awards in each of the thematic areas are anticipated subject to fiscal year funding.
You can learn more about current and past Research grants on Our Projects page.
Requirements for Internet Society Foundation Research Grant Program
- Independent researchers should have a postgraduate research degree (PhD, Masters) and peer reviewed publications, patents, academic or independently published work in the relevant area.
- Public research institutions should be 501c3 or equivalent and should have a mission that is in alignment to that of the Foundation. (Private institutions are not eligible entities to receive funding).
Additional eligibility requirements for all Foundation grants are here. All applicants must ensure that they meet these basic requirements. Underrepresented groups in the research world should kindly apply.
Researchers should submit a full application to pass under review by the Independent Program Review Committee. Final submissions will get selection based on the following criteria:
- Is the research in line with one of the Foundation’s thematic areas?
- Is the research novel?
- Is the research applied?
- Is the research collaborative?
The IPRC meets twice a year to review proposals. The next Research cycle will open in April 2023.
In 2023, the application process got an upgrade to include two application cycles: April and September. For the April cycle, applications will be accepted between April 12 and May 31, 21:00 UTC.
Additionally, the statement of interest was removed from the process. Applicants are now to submit a single application through Fluxx.
Applications are to pass under review by staff to ensure proposals are in alignment with thematic areas and eligibility requirements. If there are any questions staff will reach out to applicants through the provided contact information.
Those that are in alignment will move forward to a second stage where proposals will pas under review by the Independent Program Review Committee (IPRC). The IPRC recommends which proposals should get consideration for funding to the Program Officer. The Program Officer engages in the final review, negotiation, and determination of grant awards with successful partners. The whole process will take about two months.
How to Apply
Interested Persons should CLICK HERE to apply.
May 31, 2023